Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Action vs Motivation

Did you know it's possible to have perfect action and still have wrong motives?

Wow, I've been hit hard by that realization this week. For several years now I've been in the process of discovering how to operate in the Adam Process. I've learned how to ask questions, how to "draw" from people, and how to coach them to another level of development. However, this week for the first time I think I've finally come face to face with the fact that often my motives have been wrong. It's the challenge of being a change addict. You become so addicted to change and seeing change in other people... that you forget about the people. The change becomes your goal, you become so focused on seeing the product change that you forget about the people along the way.

It's a hard thing to realize that you've taught people what to do, but you've never bothered to really slow down and help them discover why to do. I get in such a hurry trying to yield greater results from my team, to get further down the road, all the while sacrificing their development for the sake of their development. Yes I meant to type that twice. Because I had figured out in my mind where they needed to be and what they needed to be doing then everything I did was to manipulate them to be where I wanted them to be so that they could change. It did yield change, but the problem is I've now positioned myself to where those same people now have to have me there to change. Obviously that's not 100% true, but I have established a system that depends on me for continuous growth and development.

Basically I set myself up as God and Holy Ghost speaking into their life without even realize that that is what I was doing. I failed to teach them how to grow and change for themselves and instead created a dependency on me to interpret their thoughts, actions, and feelings. Instead of me allowing them to learn to sort through their own development, I became a "demi-god" that sorted through them for them. Yes it hurt bad to realize this, and now begins the long journey of de-positioning myself so that they can now discover how to learn on their own.

It's amazing how we go from one glory of revelation to another. How we start by a mental ascent and even a strong "understanding" of the strategies and techniques, but it takes running into the fullness of the revelation to understand that you aren't even close to having the right heart and actually using your strengths effectively.

Here's to long fun journeys!

Ken

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The bible says that man looks on the outward apperance, but God looks on the heart. No matter how good we think we are or how much we think we know. We can never look into another persons heart. Only God can do that. Our discerment must come from our communication from God or through our relationship with others. We are not judges of mens hearts.

How many times have i made this mistake. Our Knowlege of others comes only from the outward apperance and what we think we know about the situation. Without God speaking to us directly there is no way to know for sure what is going on in a persons heart. This is why trust would be so hard in a relationship. I cant know for sure what you are thinking. Are you telling me something to make me feel good about myself? Are you trying to manipulate me? Are you truely lookig for a real relationsahip or are you wanting people to thing well of you. no one can reaaly know what in in anothers heart. We must trust that what the other is saying is true and leave the rest for God to sort out. I dont have to know everything. If God tells me great!!! If not i must look on the out ward appearance and risk being hurt, looking stupid, hurting someone else and all the other wonderful things that come along with relationship. But if we didnt mess up we wouldnt be human.