Thursday, January 18, 2007

Maybe...

There is a Taoist story of an old farmer who had worked his crops for many years. One day his horse ran away. Upon hearing the news, his neighbors came to visit. "Such bad luck," they said sympathetically.
"Maybe," the farmer replied. The next morning the horse returned, bringing with it three other wild horses. "How wonderful," the neighbors exclaimed.
"Maybe," replied the old man. The following day, his son tried to ride one of the untamed horses, was thrown, and broke his leg. The neighbors again came to offer their sympathy on his misfortune. "Maybe," answered the farmer. The day after, military officials came to the village to draft young men into the army. Seeing that the son's leg was broken, they passed him by. The neighbors congratulated the farmer on how well
things had turned out. "Maybe," said the farmer.


This one will make you think. I'm not saying that everything that happens is both good and bad... but maybe... just maybe... we should assess the things that we often think are "bad" or the things that we think are "good" and see if we should say "maybe".
Maybe the spears people throw at us and the attacks that we attribute to "the devil" or "evil" might be sent to strengthen you. Maybe... you are hearing the voices of doubt and frustration louder now than ever because until now you couldn't hear them, this lets you hear them. Maybe... just maybe... things matter in ways you cannot see and may not know.

Maybe. . .

Any "maybe" realizations in your life?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Over the past several weeks, I've had instances where I've felt like the last kid picked for kickball (when there's an odd number of players). I didn't get invited to one girl's Christmas party because I don't drink and I get left out of lunch table conversations because I'm not on birth control for having pre-marital sex. Recently, we had to work in groups of 6 for a class project, and of course I was number seven. Later, we all car-pooled to the career fair and I experienced my "maybe". They started talking badly about one of the other girls that seemed to be one of their "favorites". At that moment, I realized that maybe it's not so bad if these "friendships" aren't genuine. It made me start appreciating my genuine friendships even more. Why should I bother with people who may trash me when I'm not in the room, when all I have to do is hit the "Call" button and I can be in contact with a number of my genuinely caring friends? *At least if they're going to talk bad about me, they'll do it to my face so I can fix it.*
And as for the group work issue - I know my entire career won't be filled with people who I enjoy working with, so I'm getting some practice by starting now. ;)

Ken Hendrix said...

"God makes all things work together for the good of them that love him.." . Is the rain good or bad? Ask New Orleans and ask someone on the draught ridden plains of Africa... bet you get different answers. The key is in whether you have a heart turned towards God... for if you do.. all things will work together for your good. It's all about timing, perspective, and focus.