Thursday, January 11, 2007

Why it is important to post!

Why is it important that you post?

I appreciate the many kind comments that I recieved to urge me to continue the blog but I did have some concerns. I had several people mention that they received something even though they didn’t t post. The reason that I need you to post is that this blog isn’t because I need your feedback to think I’m doing a good job. It’s because this blog is as much about me growing as it is about you getting something out of it. And if you don’t comment then you are robbing me of an opportunity to grow. The fact is that I want this place to be a community of ideas that ebb and flow and challenge and confront. That makes it impossible for a single person to do this. Maybe sometimes you do simply need to say “right on” but other times you may need to say “SAY WHAT?!!!”.

I don’t say this condescendingly, but it is selfish of you to simply ponder your thoughts and ideas. You are falling into the same trap that I confessed to yesterday, a trap of “using” other people and only getting the best out of them without ever risking a real relationship. I don’t expect every person to say something about every post, but you shouldn’t make it through more than three without having some kind of feeling and comment.

The other thing about posting comments is this… it holds you accountable. Suddenly, even using a pseudonym, you now have committed yourself to an idea and a viewpoint that others can poke holes in, challenge you with, or even affirm you with! You are showing that you aren’t just “one of the crowd” and willing to “go with the flow” but instead you are YOU and aren’t afraid to be YOU even if that means being wrong.

Be cautious that you don’t let the same fear that trapped me for so long into “using” people and hiding behind my façade trap you as well. Like I said you don’t have to espouse some great doctrine every time a post is made, I just simply ask that you be a part of the community and let us know that you are out there… a community is built on common experiences and sometimes we just need to know you shared the same experience of reading the post.

I look forward to this coming year and seeing each of us blossom into what God has for us!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are so right about keeping our feelings inside so I will not do that again.