Monday, July 17, 2006

Contra-Diction

Contra - Diction
Opposing - verbiage

Have you been contradicted today? Have you contradicted yourself?
If you haven't you aren't facing reality!

If you are never contradicted then your world is severely skewed. You lead people who are great followers! I bet they do everything you say and when they fail that affirms how great of a "leader" you are... because you can do it!

The problem is, your world is limited to being like you. You have become the "ruler" of your world! Last time I check, that isn't your job.

Your job is to enforce the "rule" of your King/God/Higher Authority! If you want to be a great leader, you must learn to lead great leaders. Great leaders will not operate by your "rule"! They will follow a higher rule, but they cannot and will not measure themselves by you!

My mother and I always see things from opposite ends. Even when we are saying the same thing! However, it is her contra-diction or her "opposing-language" that will allow me to get the full perspective of each event and opportunity that we work together on. Her contra-diction is one of my most powerful tools.

You must allow people to contradict your personal thought patterns, your personal style, and your personal preference and allow them to be themselves. The only way to truly lead leaders is to let them lead! That demands letting them do things their way and then coaching them along the way.

Start this process today... learn to contradict yourself and stop seeing things from only one perspective! Your influence will increase and so will your effectiveness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love it. What could we do if we weren't afraid to just be "ourselves" and allow our personal quirks and ideas to fan someone else's fire, whether for better or worse. I go mad in my world of same minded, eager to please peers. I'm looking for a swift kick in the ass that will charge me up and confront me. If I am never tested how will I ever know my limitations and strengths, or perhaps most importantly my weaknesses. I'm looking for that opposing force. After all the opposing force will push me up or crush me under it's force, but in the end I will have arrived at a new place. Keep 'em coming. Good stuff.