Thursday, July 06, 2006

Stepping Stones

Do you remember as a little kid always trying to jump from one stone to the next? It was always fun for me to try to make that "giiiiant" leap from the stone I was on to the next one on the path. It's funny to think back on it now, I could spend hours just jumping from one stone to the next with a youthful enthusiasm that made me love the most mundane of tasks.

As I focus on the challenges I face, I see that I am still like that little kid jumping from one stone to the next. The problem is I keep trying to jump to the stone about ten away and not the next one on my path. Then when I fall off I end up frustrated and end up with skinned knees.

I'm all for stretching yourself and reaching out for new things. However, I think the first step in that is realizing where you are and what the next step is.

Here's a test to see if you are still jumping to the next stone. . .

Are you totally focused on that next leap?

Can you see all the details of that next stone in your life?

Are you bending down to get the most momentum so you jump with both feet to the next stone, or are you still trying to leave one foot on the old stone?

Are mundane tasks fun and exciting?

Have you fallen down lately? (If not you are standing still.)

Are you sweaty and a little bit chaffed from the way you keep jumping? (really uncomfortable)

Have you ran over anyone trying to jump to the next stone? (I used to do this all the time because I would get so focused on the stone that I would forget about everything else, maybe you should runover more people.)


Did you pass or fail this test? If you haven't tried leaping with both feet in a while then you are shooting too high, if you haven't fallen then you are standing still. Both are terrible places to be. Aiming to far away will lead to just standing still.

I dare ya, to get real with yourself. Do you think you are somewhere you aren't? Have you convinced other people that you are somewhere you aren't? If you convince people you are somewhere you aren't then guess what... THEY WILL NEVER FIND YOU!

SO GET DISCOVERED! LOCATE YOURSELF AND THEN AIM FOR THE NEXT STEPPING STONE.

and if you get in my way just be ready to get pushed!

No comments: