Monday, August 07, 2006

The Manifestation of Change

I've often heard that "change is inevitable". I would modify that
statement to "superficial change is inevitable." Things are constantly
changing around us. Change is happening to our bodies continuously. To
me environmental and physical change that happens around and to us is
superficial. But, the real catalyst for change is that that happens
within us.

Yet, a change in our thinking or in the way we feel is only a catalyst
for change-it is not the change itself. It is possible to think
differently and yet not change. It reminds me of the scripture "faith
without works is dead." Change is a process that is not complete until
there is an end product.

Changed thinking without a resulting change in behavior is incomplete.
Change is not change until our behavior is changed. Change addicts
that stop short with only a change in thinking are only philosophers.
True change results in new or different behaviors. What about you?

Humans are creatures of habit. Our personal challenge is to identify
and change unproductive habits into productive ones. Name three changes
in your behavior that you have made in the last 30 days. Ask yourself,
"Have I repeated that behavior enough for it to now be a habit?" If
not, keep going. If so, what's next? Perhaps you need to go back to the
thinking stage and address your thoughts and feelings. But I dare you
to truly become a change addict and complete the process from beginning
to end over and over and over and over again and again and again. Never
be satisfied with superficial change and never stop short with only
changing philosophies. Let's change the world instead!

1 comment:

Andy Coker said...

Medic! Medic! I’m bleeding over here. You’re helping me to death. Lifestyle changes are never easy for me. When I am initiating change in my life, I do pretty good for a while, until the pressure hits. That is when I want to revert to the old ways of doing things. Thanks for the encouragement. Every little bit helps when you are a Change Addict