Wednesday, August 30, 2006

The Pendulum of Pursuit . . . or Keep it Between the Ditches

I have found that there is no such thing as the middle of the road person. We are all in a ditch somewhere. There are those people who think they are in the middle of the road who are often sitting in the ditch and not moving anywhere. Then there are those people like me. We see things in black and white. We refuse to make exceptions, we think that everyone should radically change to the opposite spectrum. We live life on a pendulum.

Quite frankly, I think it is the only way to live life. The fact is that if you live life always trying to take the moderate step you are already stagnant. I find myself continually balancing the paradoxes of great leadership within my life. On one extreme, I can’t lead people I need, while on the other extreme I must put a demand on (need) every person that I lead. Greatness will always be a paradox, and it is my ability to ride the pendulum from one ditch to the other that will manifest my internal design.

I have posted before on my black and white world, so if you want more on this search back and find the post.

More importantly, I want to know what you are currently swinging hard for one ditch in. What are you an extremist about? What are you so passionately motivated to change, that you are willing to charge into it even if it means you could be wrong?
I have found that to break old habits I generally have to overcompensate with new ones? What are you strategically over compensating for?

Understand this is a post praising your extremity, don’t give me insecure comments about how you feel bad about being an extremist, I want to know what you are willing to raise an outcry about and even pursue the wrong way, if you have to, in order to bring it to pass in your own life and in the lives of others!

For me, I'm a freak about execution right now. Stop showing me your dang plan, stop telling me who is in charge, just show me some danged results! I want to see ownership, not just great ideas!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you say "danged"?