Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Mind numbing Stupidity

So most of us are ignorant, by choice. But there comes a threshold when it becomes stupidity. Stupidity is that point where you move from ignoring something to purposefully denying it. Dictionary.com says that stupidity is a "state of mental numbness". So here is the question. What areas are you stupid in?

See to me being ignorant is a choice, stupidity removes your choice. Stupidity is when you have become so Familiar/numb to a thing that you no longer have the sensitivity to make a choice. You expect nothing different from the moment, so you don't ever look for anything different. With ignorance, I think we often still make a choice to not look for anything more. With stupidity, we can't!

I have heard some people refer to what I am talking about as "searing you conscience". But it is about more than just conscience. It is searing your awareness! It is our awareness and our alertness that gives us the power of REALITY! Jesus' power came from the authority that he exercised in the REALITY OF THE MOMENT! But if we have become numb to the moment and STUPID because of our familiarity then we will never become "stewards" of the moment!

The only way that I have found to become "un-stupid" is to be angrily confronted with a new expectation or reality. This comes from many sources in my life. Friends, parents, leadership, GOD, and a long list of others. The key is that I have found it DEMANDS CONFRONTATION to break my stupidity.

So lets stop being ignorant and make a choice to be REAL. Then let's allow other people to CONFRONT us with their reality and break our STUPIDITY!

Numb only feels good, it never is good. Being numb keeps us from feeling the pain that will create change in our lives. Write down at least two areas in your life that are numb. Who/How can you position yourself around that will confront that numbness?

5 comments:

JackAz said...

Ken: I wish to say this one thing, but in saying this one thing, (which could be construed as nagative), I do not wish to imply that the whole piece is not valid.

You've made a very good point, but I take issue with this illustration:

"Jesus' power came from the authority he exercised in the reality of the moment."

This statement is tautological - true power IS authority; true authority is power. You could leave out this statement without weakening the article in the slightest.

...and since this IS a blog, I cannot resist the impulse to add one more rebuttal:

The question of the origin of Jesus's authority was of great interest to the Jewish leaders, and the Gospels record a number of conversations on that precise subject.

Jesus himself said that he only spoke what he heard the Father speak and did what he saw the Father doing. His authority was derivative, not original, (as is all true authority). In other words, the source of His power was God. He had God-like power because it was in fact God working through Jesus.

Off topic, I know - but this IS a blog and your comments ARE open. ;-)

Ken Hendrix said...

Great point Atticus, let me clarify. Jesus' power was demonstrated in the reality of the moment. It was being aware in the moment and being "instant" in the moment that gave him that accessed his power. I completely agree that his authority came from the father. Good point!

I'm not sure I completely agree on the fact that power and authority are synonomous. I understand your point, but I believe in "potential" energy to. And that power does not come from authority. It comes from the potential. So I agree with the gist of what you are saying, but I do think that those two are distinguishable. Thanks for the great comments!

Anonymous said...

Stupidy come with comfort. Therefore, people do not want to be confronted or to confront anyone else about their stupidy, in fear someone will notice theirs. For me, I hold onto comfort, in turn holding onto my stupidy. It takes being backed into a corner and given no other option but to get real, for me to get real. So, how do I ever become "un-stupid?"

For me personally, it has been a painful and rewarding journey. Areas that I am stupid or numb in, once I recongize them, I try to place myself with people who
1.I trust
2.Love me
3.Are not afraid to confront the REAL problem in my life. Those people will go after things in me, I could never deal with on my own. (Of course, it takes being lead by the Holy Spirit and having a relationship.) So first I have to recongize an area I am stupid or numb in, and then PURSUE someone.

I get overwhelmed thinking about "what all I need to change", and "how many areas in my life are so totally messed up." And then, I am reminded my purpose is not to change. Change is evidentable, growth is not. My purpose is to seek His face, know Him, and change along with growth will come.

I am making a personal decision in my own life to know the truth, no matter what the truth is. Pursue REAL relationship with a hungry heart. And pursue God with all I have. I am not sure of any other better way to become "un-stupid." Or to see what areas I am stupid in. I am so thankful for those relationshipes in my life that refuse to let me stay the same, stay comfortable, stay stupid.

Anonymous said...

Who/How can you position yourself around? Do you have someone like that. We used to. They were called masters or mentors and we we're pupils or apprentices, but those days are long gone. Now we (the apprentice) must search for the right kind of people who will give into our lives. Anybody can make a comment, but only certain people can make an impact in my life.

Ken Hendrix said...

I can certainly understand the frustration.

However, in my life the role of "master" is played by the leadership at my church. Now, we are very different from most churches, so I am not suggesting that going to church will serve that role for you.

We believe that Discipleship, basically the equivalent of "apprenticeship", is the key to unlocking each person's unique design. However, it is more than just finding the right person. It is about finding and environment of discipleship that holds you accountable to reality in your life.

Now not everyone that comes to my church has this role in their life. It is still my choice to pursue. However, I have made that choice, and because I have then the leadership (and God) is faithful to see to it that I receive the instruction I need. Thanks for the great comments and hopefully if nothing else maybe our comments into your life will at least help!