Tuesday, September 19, 2006

What are you following?

What are the characteristics are of a leader? What is the personality of a leader? What is the purpose of a leader? What is leadership? These are just a few of the questions that I have heard numerous people ask numerous times. I believe that these are good questions. However if you try to answer these questions and then conform to the answer, it is possible to lose who you are in the process of becoming a leader. In other words, we have a lot of cookie cutter leaders. There should never be another John Maxwell. There is no need for another John Maxwell. I agree the world needs leaders, but we do not need John Maxwells. We need people who understand their purpose and apply leadership principles to accomplish their purpose.

If I ask the question, why do you want to be a leader, I would get all kinds of noble answers. Answers such as, I want to effect my generation; change my world; leave this world different when I’m gone. These are good answers, but most of the time they are not the real answers. Most people will not tell you their pursuit of leadership is to get the advantage over you so they can have control. Some will, but most will not. I know you could argue with me over the fact that wanting control can be a person’s purpose. When I talk about purpose I’m talking about that thing that you were made for, your design. When you find your purpose and start fulfilling it, you will effect your generation; change your world and leave this world different when you’re gone.

The greatest leaders are the best followers and servants. They serve in whatever station of life they find themselves. The King has many servants. Each servant has their station of service. The king however is the greatest servant. His charge is to serve the people. The servant who serves the king has one or two responsibilities that they bear the burden of. The king bears the weight of the entire kingdom and its people. So who carries the most weight of responsibility in serving?

None of us are here without purpose, but we abuse our lives because we don’t understand our purpose. (If you do not understand the purpose of something, you will abuse it.) We abuse the principles of leadership to serve ourselves rather than accomplishing our purpose.

If you want the ability to recognize a leader, it’s not hard. Look in front of yourself and see who you are following. If you look up and see you are not following anyone, then look behind you there is probably no one following you. I am a follower. I know what to look for in the people I follow. I look for character, integrity, and a servants heart?

More appropriately I believe the questions should be, what are the characteristics of the leader in front of me? What is the personality of the leader in front of me? What is the purpose of the leader in front of me? You will become like what or who you follow.

What are you following?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's pretty disgusting when I see the motives behind all my actions. For some reason, I think that I'll finally get to the place where I won't have to worry about my true motives. -It's something that I'll always have to judge myself on, and not only that, but be willing to change... even if it hurts my pride and I am like a "Simon Peter."

Andy Coker said...

Paul, it sounds like you have found a true leader. Not just the one you are following, but the one you see in the mirror every morning.

Anonymous said...

Leadership or leadershift
Who has the most influence in your life with words or actions could be-(take me to your leaders). True leaders can shift into any certcumstance and alow others too thank thay are leading, or just lead from the middle or end. (The first will be last and the last will be first). Influence or statice proqo when you are in line at beef burger do you order the same as the stranger infrount of you who looks local, or Go to the wild and order a new dish where as you wate on your meal the next stranger ask for the same as what the person befoe me Ordered.

Question: Can you power of segestion to someone that is clueless to become the best thay can be on the subject matter?

Give up: Army be all you can be.